Thread: Fuel gauge erratic

Fuel gauge erratic

Hi Guys/Girls,
    I have just bought an RV4 with the AFS3400. The fuel gauges are erratic, in that they show 0 and go red for a while (on ground and in flight, maybe for a few minutes or longer, usually one or the other) and will then read what I think is about right, any ideas please?
    Thanks
    Neil
    Last edited by Neil Spooner; 03-22-2014 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Spooner View Post
    Hi Guys/Girls,
    I have just bought an RV4 with the AFS3400. The fuel gauges are erratic, in that they show 0 and go red for a while (on ground and in flight, maybe for a few minutes or longer, usually one or the other) and will then read what I think is about right, any ideas please?
    Thanks
    Neil

I suspect it is either bad sensors in the tanks or you have bad calibration data. Email a picture of your Tank calibration settings to info@advanced-flight-systems.com and we will check it.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    I suspect it is either bad sensors in the tanks or you have bad calibration data. Email a picture of your Tank calibration settings to info@advanced-flight-systems.com and we will check it.
    Hi Rob,
    Thank you very much for the very prompt reply.
    Yesterday after flying I topped the tanks in prep' for flying today. When I arrived at the a/c today I found a fuel leak from the Port tank inspection plate, but also from the center of the BNC connector for the fuel tank sender. The BNC connector has a small PCB on it which was covered in fuel. I suspect the data has been corrupted by this fuel. I have not yet inspected the Stbd side but suspect it will be similar.
    Is there a repair scheme to seal these BNC sockets or do I need to replace them. What will I find at the back of the plug?
    Thank you for your assistance.
    Regards
    Neil
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The BNC is part of the capacitance tank plates inside the tank and made by Vans. I would think that it is sealed with Proseal inside the tank, you should check with vans.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.