Thread: Afs 5400

Afs 5400

So I'm thinking of upgrading my 4500 and even toying with redoing the whole panel, but the 5400 will slide right in (I believe ) and would be a whole lot cheaper. It's too bad I didn't spend more time playing with it at Oshkosh as I was so drawn to the 5500 / 5600 so I'm asking here who has installed the 5400 and how do they like it. Anything lacking in it compared to the 5500? Also, what are the major differences in simple button procedures compared to the 5500 which has more knobs and buttons. I can't seem to find a manual specific to the 5400 that show this.

Also, I know the 5400 is touch but does it come standard with SV ?

Is it a straight in and out replacement for my 4500?

Will it talk to my 3500 without any changes?

I really like AFS and am very comfortable with it but I'm somewhat annoyed that it gets so little press in aviation consumer, and others, compared to Dynon, etc. I may be wrong but I thought AFS came out with touch before most but it isn't even reviewed anywhere!
    John Kazickas
    Sands Point, NY
    Glasair Sportsman N9GZ

It comes standard with SV

You will need to change the DB-9 aux connector to a DB-15 and install a remote backup battery. The EFIS Main Harness and engine harness is the same.

It will talk to your AF-3500 without any problem.

The AF-5400 actually is very nice and a big improvement over the AF-4500. Vic Syracuse just wrote an article in Kitplanes on converting his AF-4500 units to AF-5400's.

That being said, if you have the room install the AF-5600T, larger screen and more buttons. Send us a picture of your panel and we can even help cut the inserts.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

I have just completed an upgrade from the 4500 to the 5400 and am pleased with the results. The enhanced resolution is quite nice, the interface is far more modern and easy to use and you get some nice enhanced functionality.

In addition to what Rob mentioned you will also likely need to swap-out your Crossbow magnometer with an AHRS (since they are not built into the 5400). I upgraded to the VectorNav AHRS which is the exact same form factor as the Crossbow and uses the same connector and cable (so very simple upgrade).

You may also need to either install an inline resister in both of the pressure sensors (oil and fuel) or do what I did and replace the VDO sensors with Kavlico sensors that are a bit more accurate and reliable. However, this requires additional work because you need to run ground and power wire from the 5400 to the sensors (along with the existing sensor wires out of the 5400).

The biggest hassle was installing the new backup battery (unless you decide to run them directly off the main battery). The back-up battery is reasonable size and requires an additional 5amp CB to be added to the panel (or you could use an inline fuse). I managed to fit it just behind the 5400 MFD.

One final consideration is that if you have the AF-Pilot Autopilot and you want to see and hear it's status along with being able to engage and disengage it from the EFIS, then in addition to the ARINC 429 connection you also need to install the wires (RX and TX) for the RS-232 connection (and configure it on the associated 5400 PFD serial connection). I did not have the rs232 connection on my 4500 (and I know a couple of other folks with 4500s that don't have the rs232 connection) but since the 5400 has an autopilot status indicator in the middle-top of the display it makes sense to include this connection.

I have a 3500 EM also. Will I still need the inline resister for oil and fuel as I assume the info to the 4500/5400 comes from the 3500?
    John Kazickas
    Sands Point, NY
    Glasair Sportsman N9GZ

The only time you need the external resistor is if you want to use the old pressure sensors and the internal jumpers have been cut.
    Rob Hickman

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    The only time you need the external resistor is if you want to use the old pressure sensors and the internal jumpers have been cut.
    What is the value of the resistor?

Vic

1.02K is what we use internally, a 1K should be fine.
    Rob Hickman

5600 upgrade

I also have a 4500 and would like to upgrade to the 5600 but have a few questions.
    I understand the upgrade requires the installation of an external AHRS that is presently in my 4500.
    My magnetometer is mounted behind the rear bulkhead just under the top skin.

1. Will I need to remove my magnetometer that was installed with my 4500 and replace it with a different magnetometer?
    2. Can I mount both the magnetometer and the AHRS next to each other.
    3. What kind of connections are required to the external AHRS.

Thanks

The remote AHRS is the same mounting and wiring as the old Crossbow Magnetometer. The AF-5400 will also support the Dynon ADAHRS, this requires new mounting and wiring.
    Rob Hickman