Thread: Three Sensor failures in less than 60 hours

Three Sensor failures in less than 60 hours

I have to report my dissatisfaction with AFS engine sensors. Three failures within the first 60 hours of a new RV. Oil Temperature, Fuel Pressure and Tachometer sensors.

1. The Oil Temperature sensor is bullet proof, I seriously doubt that you had a real failure with it. Did you send it back to us to look at? This is the exact sensor that Van's has used on their mechanical gauges for years.

2. We have seen some problems with the mechanical pressure transducers and switched over a year ago to Kavlico solid state pressure sensors. If you did not have a resistor fitting in the fuel pressure line the old mechanical sensors had a tendency to wear out fast from the pump pulses. The old mechanical pressure sensors are the same ones that Van's uses on their gauges and Dynon use to use.

3. Do you have cooling tubes on your mag near the RPM sensor? Did you send us the old RPM sensor for evaluation?

I have had the same RPM and Oil Temp sensor for over 1000 hours on my RV-10.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

1.Replaced the Oil sensor last summer, then threw it out since new one was showing higher and normal numbers.

2. A restrictor fitting for the fuel pressure sensor was mentioned in the manual, I installed it.

3. Cooling tubes for the mag rpm sensor? Didn't read anything about Cooling tubes in the manual. I still have the RPM sensor.....can send it to you for evaluation.

Everything is working smoothly at the moment.
    Last edited by timotb; 10-21-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Just wondered if there was any prognosis on the returned rpm sensor?