Thread: Zero pitch setting and Ground Speed indication

Zero pitch setting and Ground Speed indication

Im flying a RV7A with a 180 hp engine. AFS 3500, afs auto pilot and garmin 430

Getting serious about instrument flying again and find flying an EFIS under the hood different than the archaic attitude indicators. I set my zero pitch line to be level sitting on the ground. The concern is that the "top of the V" touches the zero pitch line only at approach speed of 100mph. Normal cruise of 150 puts level one hash mark below the zero pitch line. I understand the aerodynamics of why this happens. I wonder if others set their zero pitch line the same or adjust for higher airspeeds?

Secondly, I notice the efis ground speed calculation 15-20 mph below garmin 430 ground speed calculation. Can this be fixed/adjusted?

I dont mean to be critical, as I am "tickled pink" with my avionics trio performance so far...just trying to tweak it towards a perfection.

thanks

Getting serious about instrument flying again and find flying an EFIS under the hood different than the archaic attitude indicators. I set my zero pitch line to be level sitting on the ground. The concern is that the "top of the V" touches the zero pitch line only at approach speed of 100mph. Normal cruise of 150 puts level one hash mark below the zero pitch line. I understand the aerodynamics of why this happens. I wonder if others set their zero pitch line the same or adjust for higher airspeeds?

Set it to zero pitch in flight and see how it works.

Secondly, I notice the efis ground speed calculation 15-20 mph below garmin 430 ground speed calculation. Can this be fixed/adjusted?

Send me a picture of your screen and 430W showing this, I don't believe it. The EFIS should be getting the ground speed from the 430W, do you have one in KTS and one in MPH?
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.