Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In flight EFIS Failure.

I started this post with 2 problems: the reboot loop on the efis, and the oil temp issue.

Since all of the discussion is now on the oil temp probe, I started a fresh thread with a more appropriate label for that topic. As for the inflight reboot loop, I'd be curious if there's ever a fix for this, but it's not a problem since it is easily avoidable.
    Last edited by dhall_polo; 11-29-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Trevor,

I responded to the oil temp post a few lines above this one. I ended up having to ground my oil filter adapter to get rid of the fluctuating oil temp. That was with a heavy braid between the case and the engine mount. It seems like the oil filter adapter isn't necessarily very well grounded. Makes sense if you consider the gasket and a possible paint under the mounting hardware.

Dave

Dave, that is something I did not consider. Thank you for the info. There is also a 3M gasket between the 90deg filter adapter and the engine that would act as an excellent insulator.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

The oil filter adapter is bolted to the engine. It's grounded, period. This thread is chasing ghosts.

dhall_polo, does your oil temp sensor screw into the oil filter adapter? Do you have a #10 or #8 ground wire from the filter adapter to the engine case? If you turn your ALT FIELD off and the Oil Temp changes, a grounding issue must be the problem. If you've exhausted all possibilities, we do have 2 wire oil temp sensors that we can order. We've found only a few situations where they were needed after all attempts were made to properly ground the alternator and engine to the airframe.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems

My oil temp probe is in the usual spot on the oil filter adapter. The oil filter adapter is grounded via the bolts that attach it to the case, so the gasket is irrelevant. Despite that fact, I added a ground wire to the temp probe itself, and this made no difference. There is still some in-flight condition that can cause the oil temp reading to rise, and turning off ALT1 still results in an immediate drop to the normal or expected oil temp value. At this point, I've double and triple checked engine ground and AF3500 ground, and I've added the probe ground as an extra measure even though it already checks out as grounded with multimeter.

Which 2-wire oil temp probe should I order for Lyco IO360?

The two-wire sensor is a UMA p/n 1B3 and the price is $75. You can give Tricia a call to order one.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems