Thread: Engine Sensor Harness - Black Wires

Engine Sensor Harness - Black Wires

The engine sensor harness has several black wires. Appendix C in the manual shows what sensor each of these black wires connect to. The only way to determine which black wire goes to which pin is to actually do a continuity check on each black wire (since the color coding is identical). When I connected several engine sensors, I assumed that ANY black wire could be used on ANY sensor that required a black wire, since ALL of the black wires were connected together internally in the EM. Is this true? If it is, then the wiring I have done should be OK. Appendix C (which was not yet in the manual when I did some of my wiring) seems to disagree with this logic, showing which sensor each black wire should go to. I am presently unable to perform any functional tests of many of these sensors since I am some months from being able to start my engine for the first time.

Thanks,
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

Hi Noah. You can connect them all to a single ground point, though it is a good idea to connect the ground wire for each component to the appropriate pin in the connector.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

Hi Trevor, I think you may have misunderstood my question. I have not connected everything to a single point ground. Let me ask the question this way: will the system work the same if the RPM ground wire and the fuel flow ground wire are reversed? In other words, if the RPM ground is run to the fuel flow sensor and the fuel flow ground is run to the rpm sensor? Putting the question yet another way, are all black wires connected to the same single point ground inside the EM (making all of the black wires on the engine sensor harness interchangeable)?
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

Yes that is just fine. They are interchangeable and all connected internally.
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com

OK phew! That is a relief - thanks Trevor!
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island