Thread: GPS Non Precision Approaches

GPS Non Precision Approaches

On flying a GPS approach on Saturday I noticed another great feature that I was unaware of with the 4500. As I passed an approach point approaxinately 25mm high white letters WA (The designator for the approach point Whiskey Alpha) flashed accross the screen. Great feature guys as maintaining situational awareness during the GPS approach under high work load is not always easy. I would say however that they did flash accross a bit fast and if I had been checking out the GPS or tuning a radio frequency I would have missed tham and maybe have done so before as I have flown about 6 other GPS approaches so far in My new Sportsman. We don't have WAAS in Australia so must fly the altitude component using the ALT bug if on auto pilot. I like to hand fly anyway and the waypoint transition is a great feature.

I ask however is it possible that the waypoint letters be made to transition across the screen a little more slowly and after seeing this feature am now thinking that maybe the current waypoint and distance to during a GPS approach phase could maybe appear as larger letters only during the approach. I reckon this would help significantly. My only criticism of the screen layout is that I find some features simply too small like the nav data and ROC column for example. Non the less a great system.

If you have HITS enabled, you should see the waypoint identifier about 0.5nm out. The identifier is always drawn at the HITS boxes, so as long as you see the box, you should see the identifier text. It is a great feature, we are glad you like it as well!
    ---
    Trevor Conroy
    Technical Support
    Advanced Flight Systems
    Support@Advanced-Flight-Systems.com