Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: countdown to power off missing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

countdown to power off missing

Normally when I switch off the master, my 3500 switches over to battery mode along with the red bar at the bottom showing the countdown to shutting off.
    At the end of the last couple of flights, I've had to manually shut off the unit after switching the master off as the red bar countdown no longer shows up.
    Instead I only get the "check volts" warning and the efis remains on unless I hold the middle button in to shut it off manually.

Any ideas ?

I've also noticed during the last flight that the X-wind/wind direction readings were displaying an incorrect direction and kt readings. ???

I suspect that you are shutting off the power to the EFIS when the prop is still turing?

If the EFIS detects airspeed or prop RPM when power is turned off it does not start the shut down because it thinks you are still flying. It should shut down after 5 minutes once the prop stops turning.

I've also noticed during the last flight that the X-wind/wind direction readings were displaying an incorrect direction and kt readings. ???

Check your magnetometer headings for errors on a compass rose, it might need to be recalibrated.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    I suspect that you are shutting off the power to the EFIS when the prop is still turing?

If the EFIS detects airspeed or prop RPM when power is turned off it does not start the shut down because it thinks you are still flying. It should shut down after 5 minutes once the prop stops turning.

Check your magnetometer headings for errors on a compass rose, it might need to be recalibrated.
    The prop has long since stopped before I shut the master switch off to power down.

I will check the compass to see if it is off. Any reason the magnetometer would lose it's calibration over time ???
    It's been working fine up until the last couple of flights.

Is the EFIS wired to master power?

Have you changed any of the voltage warning range settings?

What happens if you just turn on the master and then after the EFIS is running turn the master off?

What is the EFIS volt meter gauge showing when you turn off the master?
    Rob Hickman

Is the EFIS wired to master power?
    Yes, the EFIS turns on and off with the Master Switch.

Have you changed any of the voltage warning range settings?
    I have not changed any range settings, nor has their been any other changes made other than updating the Maintenance page.

What happens if you just turn on the master and then after the EFIS is running turn the master off?
    Sometimes the "check voltage" warning shows up.

What is the EFIS volt meter gauge showing when you turn off the master?
    I will be at the airport tomorrow and will check the voltage for you and report back.

Rob,

Had a chance to go to the airport today.
    When I turn off the master (showing 12.6 volts) it goes down to a low of 2.6 volts on the internal battery after about 15 seconds. Is this too low, even though the green battery icon is showing full ?
    Should I consider purchasing a new internal battery ?

You are looking at the input voltage, not the internal battery. Send me a picture of the Battery Voltage menu in calibration. I suspect that you have changed some of these settings?

Should be

1. MAX 9.0
    2. Red High 9.0
    3. Yellow High 7.8
    4. Yellow Low 7.0
    5. Red Low 6.8
    6. Min 6.7
    Rob Hickman

I don't recall changing any of those settings (on purpose) . Next time I'm in the hangar I'll go to that menu and see.
    I have backed up all the files to an SD card, would that info be on it ? If so, which file do I look at ?

Are your settings the same as the ones I posted above?
    Rob Hickman

Should be

1. MAX 9.0
    2. Red High 9.0
    3. Yellow High 7.8
    4. Yellow Low 7.0
    5. Red Low 6.8
    6. Min 6.7

Are your settings the same as the ones I posted above?
    Here's what I have from a recent backup file I had on hand at home. It came from the system.AFD file

BATVOLTS.MAX, 90
    BATVOLTS.RED_HIGH, 90
    BATVOLTS.YELLOW_HIGH, 78
    BATVOLTS.YELLOW_LOW, 70
    BATVOLTS.RED_LOW, 68
    BATVOLTS.MIN, 67
    BATVOLTS.ENABLE, 1
    BATVOLTS.AUDIO, 1

While I was at the airport two days ago, the EFIS did remain on after I shut off the master, and it did show the red bar on the bottom counting down to shut-off. The voltage when on battery power was still showing 2.6 volts, but it remained on until the timer ran out.
    Last edited by Wicked Stick; 01-18-2012 at 10:05 PM.