Thread: Magnetometer installation & location

Magnetometer installation & location

Anyone have photographs of their magnetometer installations? I am getting ready to finish the final hardware installation and would like to see how others have done it.

Specifically, I am looking for the mounting bracket and where/how the bracket was mounted. I am considering mounting it on one of the vertical bulkheads aft of the baggage compartment in my RV6A.

One of the issues I am facing is the alignment between the selected bulkhead and the instrument panel. The instructions say the magnetometer and main (display) box should be installed aligned to each other within 2/10ths of a degree. This means making a mounting bracket with a six degree angle to accomodate the instrument panel.

Any guidance is welcome,

Ralph Capen

Ralph,

There is a thread discussing Dynon magnetometer mounting in a 6A at http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=81187 . The Dynon magnetometer and the AFS magnetometer have the same form factor and mounting. They DO NOT have the same electrical interface.

I used the SafeAir mount mentioned several time in the thread for my magnetometer.

Regards,

Roy

Here's mine, mounted in my 7A:
    Name:  f 18 10 2010 b.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  56.4 KBName:  f 19 10 2010.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  39.8 KB
    Indeed, keep the angles exactly the same and stay well clear of the autopilot servo.

Victor Kruis.
    http://www.hobopagina.nl/RV7a/Index.htm

I am having same question that was being discount in that forum link which Roy shared about SafeAir unit. Can anybody put more light on this?
    Your source for high quality hardwood flooring

Dual Magnetometers

How about mounting two of them together...Is there a spacing requirement...x" away from each other. I am also considering putting an ADS600B back there...Is there a spacing requirement from the antennas?

Quote Originally Posted by recapen View Post
    How about mounting two of them together...Is there a spacing requirement...x" away from each other. I am also considering putting an ADS600B back there...Is there a spacing requirement from the antennas?
    Yes, the spacing requirement is in the manual.

Here's how I mounted them in my RV-10

http://www.kitlog.com/photos/project...2012A0001V.jpg
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Thanks - I like the 'tray' look.

Got it installed and have completed the alignment procedure. The on-screen instructions did not mention facing north - simply Taxiing in a complete circle. I did get the "Alignment Complete press return" message and the "Magnetometer Align" message is now gone. Still getting the "Aiding Disabled" message on the screen - even after power-down and restart.

I don't recall seeing anything in the manual about other reasons for aiding disabled messages.

I'll try flying it.
    Flew it - "Aiding Disabled" went away shortly after take-off. Came back after I landed though. Maybe it needs something to aid.... Seems to work correctly - including driving the S-Tec 30 Autopilot through the GPSS coupler.

Would still like to know if this is the correct behaviour

Thanks in advance,
    Ralph
    Last edited by recapen; 06-02-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Advanced Flight Systems, Inc. Rob Hickman's Avatar
    The aiding message on the ground is normal, it only sends data while in flight.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

As I experienced - thanks for verifying that it is working correctly.