Thread: And this may also be a dumb question

And this may also be a dumb question

A question I've refrained from asking for quite some time as it appears so dumb but:
    Once or twice I have noticed that the border of the box that is my heading indicator changes from white to magenta.
    Now I'm sure this must be some difference between mag heading and GPS heading but I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

Interesting, I have noted the same thing and also looked in the manual and found nothing. Maybe this is indicatative of loss of comms with the magnetometer, or an unreliable magnetometer?

AFS???
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

Quote Originally Posted by stickandrudderman View Post
    A question I've refrained from asking for quite some time as it appears so dumb but:
    Once or twice I have noticed that the border of the box that is my heading indicator changes from white to magenta.
    Now I'm sure this must be some difference between mag heading and GPS heading but I can't find any reference to it anywhere.
    I suspect that you are talking about the map track box? not the magnetic heading indicator.

When the plane is moving the box above the map shows your GPS ground track, GPS data on the EFIS is always Magenta. When the plane is not moving on the ground the gps data does not provide an accurate track to draw the map and we switch to using the magnetic heading. This makes the map draw the correct direction when you turn on the EFIS and don't have GPS.

Magenta = GPS
    White = MAgnetic Heading
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Thanks Rob,
    I flew today and set the screen up so that I had map and SV splitting the screen. The SV was showing heading with a white box (compass heading) whilst the map page was showing heading that was some 10° different in a magenta box.
    So if I get this right then white box = heading, magenta box = track or COG.

However, I noticed another issue whilst trying to insert a flight plan:
    I tried to insert BPK as a waypoint but the system didn't offer a "K" after inserting the "P". It would offer me the "K" if I was entering it as a "direct to"!
    Name:  BPK1.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  27.8 KB
    Name:  BPK2.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  27.4 KB

I am in Germany at Aero, I will email our software engineers to check it
    Rob Hickman

We're looking into now.

Any progress on this?

We have fixed it, I will get Ken to send you the software.
    Rob Hickman

New software installed and fix effective, thanks guys.