Thread: GNS430W; to fit or not to fit, that is the question.

GNS430W; to fit or not to fit, that is the question.

Gentlemen, I have a dilemma and am courting input from others.
    I've alluded to this dilemma in a previous post but thought perhaps it's own thred might generate a better focus.

I have a Falco and have fitted dual AFS4500 & AP into my temporary panel. Everything works as it should.

Lomg term plan for the aircraft is extensive European touring but neither of us have an IR although I do have an IMC (a UK only partial IR that allows me to make instrument approaches but not fly in airways. Further, I can only do this in an IFR approved a/c which the Falco is not).

However, I do have in my possession a refurbished GNS430W and my co-owner and I cannot decide whether we should fit it or sell it.

Pros are:
    Additional radio (we currently only have a single dual channel radio)
    Certified navigation.
    WAAS approaches
    Familiarity to lots of pilots. (This is only a consideration if anybody other than us flies the aeroplane. We do not envisage this but you never know...)

Cons:
    Weight. (I have spent the last two years shedding weight from the aircraft).
    Cost of data. (I gather than it's not uncommon for owners of GNS430W to share this data).

Additional info: There are rumours that the UK authorities are considering allowing IFR flight in this type of aircraft but they are only rumours.
    Anyone got anything to add?

Fit it.

8.33Khz frequency spacing.
    Second radio.
    VOR as backup when something goes wrong with GPS system.
    G/S, the 4500 acts as an indicator.
    GNNS approaches are nearly easy.
    Works very well with 4500 (requires Arinc).
    The WAAS or EGNOS here in Europe, gives incredible accuracy, including vertically.
    I believe that there is a good chance we will obtain IMC for certain aircraft, the question is when.

Norman

I think the 430w works great with the 4500.
    It's a must for doing IFR in the USA.
    Alan