Thread: No GS indication

No GS indication

Hi all:

I have a 4500 installed in my RV-7 connected to a 430W via the ARINC module. I have about 125 hours on this installation and everything works great using GPS for normal navigation.

I have a Archer VOR antenna installed in the wing tip and I seem to have good reception of VORs (about a 50 mile range). A high quality signal splitter is installed supposedly dividing the VOR signal to the VOR and GS inputs on the 430W. The other day I decided to try an ILS approach (I really can't remember testing a full ILS approach). The LOC displayed and tracked fine with a good LOC audio signal but the GS portion was flagged red and inop. I tried this at several airports and no GS was ever displayed. Is there any setup and/or configuration settings on either the 4500 or the 430W I can check?

Doug Weiler

Rather then use a splitter make your own GS antennae using a piece of coax cable. Strip the insulation and ground off about 8" of one end. This becomes the antennae. You can then attach a coax end to the other end of the cable and attach it directly to the 430GS. I put my coax through the firewall and shoved the antennae end down the front of the gear leg faring a foot or so. I get very good GS signals with this system. Works great/ light and cheap!

Check the settings in the 430w for a Glide slope setting in setup. Make sure you are using a LOC/GS splitter and not a Nav splitter. Check your cable from the splitter to the GS input.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Sometimes it's the simple stuff... Bad coax connector!!

Thanks

Doug