Thread: AF4500s and AF3400 installation

AF4500s and AF3400 installation

Hello All,

I purchased an AF4500s EF and AF3400 EE used and am planning to install them in a new to me panel. I think both of these units were installed in the same plane previously. Do the s and non s units network together? Does each unit require its own magnetometer or can they share the data over the network? The 4500 operates on 10-30 volts while the 3400 calls for 10-16 volts. Is it possible the 3400 would operate at up to 30 volts? The S/N is 60368. I'm also wondering why the vertical glide patch only works with a Garmin 430, 480, or 530 nav/com. Is it possible to get that functionality with another combination of GPS and nav radio? I am sure I'll have lots more questions as I work on this project so thanks in advance for your help.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Rhardy252 View Post
    Hello All,

I purchased an AF4500s EF and AF3400 EE used and am planning to install them in a new to me panel. I think both of these units were installed in the same plane previously. Do the s and non s units network together? Does each unit require its own magnetometer or can they share the data over the network? The 4500 operates on 10-30 volts while the 3400 calls for 10-16 volts. Is it possible the 3400 would operate at up to 30 volts? The S/N is 60368. I'm also wondering why the vertical glide patch only works with a Garmin 430, 480, or 530 nav/com. Is it possible to get that functionality with another combination of GPS and nav radio? I am sure I'll have lots more questions as I work on this project so thanks in advance for your help.

Robert
    My first recommendation is to give Jonathon at tech support a call. You’ll want to get to know him. He can share all the known issues with some of the older devices.

My first panel had 4500s and 3400s in it. I’m on my third iteration with 6600s now.

My 3400 was basically a “dumb” device. 100% of the data supplied to it was across the network.

I don’t know specifics about Garmin's patches. But I can say that patches are usually specific to a specific model or model family if it shares the same OS. I’ve got a GTN650, which has a super set of functionality when compared to their older models. If you are buying a gps navigator, I would recommend the Avidyne products. I would also buy a new unit, especially if you plan to fly IFR. It’s a better investment. The older products can work just fine, but the models you mentioned are end of life. The risk you take is the availability of repair parts and software patches.

You’ve got the same issue with the older AFS units as well. I suspect budget constraints are why you’ve chosen this path. There is nothing wrong with that. You need to understand that all the great bells and whistles being developed by AFS primarily run only on the newer platforms. The good news is that AFS typically offers a generous trade-in value. I last year I traded in a 3400 for a 6600. My recommendation is if your budget can’t support the current models, then start planning how to get there a few years down the road.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Is it possible the 3400 would operate at up to 30 volts?
    No. Only later baseboard revisions noted as such were designed for both 12V and 24V operation.

I'm also wondering why the vertical glide patch only works with a Garmin 430, 480, or 530 nav/com. Is it possible to get that functionality with another combination of GPS and nav radio?
    Precision CDI + GS/VDI will work with all modern IFR navigators (GTN650, 750, IFD440, IFD540, GPS175 etc.) through the AF-ARINC adapter. CDI+GS will work over serial with an SL-30, as well as probably many other radios which ape the SL-30 protocol.

Thank you both for your replies. For tech that is 10 or so years old I have to say I am really impressed with these units. Rleffler you are correct in that budget is an issue with this project. However, I like to tinker, and this is fun and interesting. I networked them together and they communicate very nicely. Advanced you make a fine product.