Thread: AFS 5500 Screenshots

AFS 5500 Screenshots

I’ve tried pressing the bottom button on the right side of the EFIS (RNGE button) and hold down for more than 1 second to get a screen shot to save to the SD Card inserted into the top of the EFIS. When I do that I see “Saving screenshot 1, 2, etc”. I always see this message on the left side of the EFIS that it is saving the screenshot. Occasionally it works but most of the time it doesn’t. I have tried multiple 8GB SD cards and have tried reformatting each before using. I verified that the SD card is not locked. Another way that does work is: SET-LOGS-SCREENSHOT but that is 3 button pushes vs 1. This also shows “Saving screenshot” on the left side of the EFIS.

Do I have to go to the Admin settings-Transfer files and make sure that SD Card is selected instead of USB? I use USB to update the EFIS maps and software updates so maybe this is the default I last selected??
    Last edited by Oly148; 03-08-2024 at 11:23 AM.

Another way that does work is: SET-LOGS-SCREENSHOT but that is 3 button pushes vs 1
    This is not an alternative means to the same end; both steps are always necessary, in sequential order.

Holding down the lower rightmost button takes a screenshot, and saves it to the internal EFIS memory. You can do this multiple times and multiple screenshots will be stored in the EFIS. If you did not get a notification that the screenshot was saved during this step, then no screenshot was saved.

SET --> LOGS --> SCN SHOT copies all saved screenshots from the EFIS internal memory to your storage media, then deletes the original copies saved on the EFIS.

As for storage media selection, the option to choose between USB and SD media in the SET --> CAL --> Admin Settings --> Transfer Files screen only applies to file transfers in that same menu. When you are in the SET --> LOGS menu, all files will copy to the USB media unless an SD card is plugged in. When an SD card is plugged in, all file copies will default to the SD media instead, even if a USB drive is also plugged in.

As always the customer support from AFS is top notch. Sometimes you just need some help from the experts to explain what your hard head doesn’t read what’s written in the manual (page 150). But then again the manual could have been written a little better and laid out like Jonathan just stated above.
    I submit that on the next manual rewrite AFS should just copy and paste verbatim what Jonathan said above and paste it to page 150 of the Pilot’s guide. Well done Jonathan!