Thread: How do I get ADS-B WX?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    What Rob was saying is you need to select [WIFI] as your source not [XMWX] as that is for only for paid SiriusXM Weather subscriptions with a WxWorx Receiver. [WIFI] would be from your DRX. You will notice that the NXRD indicator will change titles once this selection is changed.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    What Rob was saying is you need to select [WIFI] as your source not [XMWX] as that is for only for paid SiriusXM Weather subscriptions with a WxWorx Receiver. [WIFI] would be from your DRX. You will notice that the NXRD indicator will change titles once this selection is changed.
    I don't have a DRX. It was sent back for credit after Rob told us it absolutely would not work despite Dynon emphatically assuring us it would. This was after I paid $4k to upgrade my 5600 to touch screen and wi-fi to use the DRX. Rob had many conversations with my avionics guy which is what got me as far as I have.

There was much gnashing of teeth about the lack of serial ports on the 5600 by my avionics guy. This is what lead to the failed DRX wi-fi excursion.

My plane has a Garmin GDL 39, Garmin Aera 500 and a Dynon D10 EMS. I've been told (no guarantee on the accuracy of this) that the 5600 gets GPS data from the Aera and Engine data from the D10. I have no idea how the ADS-B data gets to the 5600. I do know that I don't have an external GPS antenna. Apparently it is inside the consol. As part of the Aera 500 or GDL 39?

I'm trying to get ADS-B subscription free weather on the 5600.
    Last edited by JJ.Campbell; 09-24-2020 at 02:50 PM.
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP

Quote Originally Posted by JJ.Campbell View Post
    I don't have a DRX. It was sent back for credit after Rob told us it absolutely would not work despite Dynon emphatically assuring us it would. This was after I paid $4k to upgrade my 5600 to touch screen and wi-fi to use the DRX. Rob had many conversations with my avionics guy which is what got me as far as I have.

There was much gnashing of teeth about the lack of serial ports on the 5600 by my avionics guy. This is what lead to the failed DRX wi-fi excursion.

My plane has a Garmin GDL 39, Garmin Aera 500 and a Dynon D10 EMS. I've been told (no guarantee on the accuracy of this) that the 5600 gets GPS data from the Aera and Engine data from the D10. I have no idea how the ADS-B data gets to the 5600. I do know that I don't have an external GPS antenna. Apparently it is inside the consol. As part of the Aera 500 or GDL 39?

I'm trying to get ADS-B subscription free weather on the 5600.
    This is not exactly correct, your avionics guy was trying to use the DRX as the GPS data source for the EFIS and I told him that would not work. The DRX would have worked to get ADSB weather and traffic on the EFIS. The most reliable way to get ADSB data is to use our wired Dynon SV-ADSB-472 receiver. The AF-5000 has 5 RS-232 serial ports, same as a Dynon Skyview. Email me a list of your current EFIS serial port settings.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    This is not exactly correct, your avionics guy was trying to use the DRX as the GPS data source for the EFIS and I told him that would not work. The DRX would have worked to get ADSB weather and traffic on the EFIS. The most reliable way to get ADSB data is to use our wired Dynon SV-ADSB-472 receiver. The AF-5000 has 5 RS-232 serial ports, same as a Dynon Skyview. Email me a list of your current EFIS serial port settings.
    Sigh, that is not what he told me. Oh well, water under the bridge...
    I have the general Support e-mail. Will that work?
    I'm guessing I get the EFIS serial port settings via: SET>CAL>ADMIN and then write down the information found under "Serial Port Functions." Yes?
    Sport Pilot
    Tecnam P92 Eaglet N693JP