Thread: AHRS/Magnetometer issue - calibration or a component fault?

AHRS/Magnetometer issue - calibration or a component fault?

Hi,

I have an AF5600 (early version - OS1; SW vX12.08.10-MV16) installed in an RV8. I did not do the installation myself.

As you can see from the attached images, I have an issue with the AHRS and am interested to know whether you think this is likely to be an AHRS/Magnetometer calibration issue or whether it could be a fault within the hardware or installation. I plan to conduct a recalibration iaw the installation manual anyway, but any thoughts or advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks very much.

PS I have tried to submit this query on the AFS contact form page, but it returns an error after submitting so I don't think it went through.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by DaveWhite; 06-21-2023 at 04:39 AM.

Yes this could be that the magnetometer calibration is off, it will falsely display a bank, even if the roll gyro does not indicate one, if the magnetometer represents that the aircraft is turning. Try recalibrating the magnetometer and see where that gets you. If that doesn't fix the problem then either the magnetometer has failed (has become too demagnetized to be effective anymore) or the gyros have failed. Neither of these problems can be fixed with a recalibration.

Thanks very much, Jonathon. I'll report back if a magnetometer calibration doesn't do the trick.