Hi AFS,

I experienced an odd charge status of the internal Li-Ion battery yesterday. After a 1.2 Hr flight, I shut down in front of the gas pumps to fill up. Everything was powered off for the 13 mins it took to refuel. When ready to startup, I press Btn-1 to boot the EFIS and view the startup checklist as the 4500 is wired to the e-bus. I was immediately presented with a 'low battery - unit will shutdown' style mesg. I then used the POH to go through the startup checklist and taxied to the hangar (~2-3 mins) with everything on. After shutdown, the EFIS remained on for a minute or so (until I held Btns 1 and 5 to power off).

I've looked at the EFIS data and it confirmed that the EFIS was receiving ~13.5 VDC the entire time. There's a small bat_volts dip, from 8.4 to 8.2 VDC, which I can't explain. I believe the small spikes on the 'volts' line to be related to me operating the flaps and the wig-wag landing lights.

Name:  volts.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  20.0 KB

Any ideas/suggestions as to why after a 1.2 hr flight the EFIS had a "dead battery" but after a 2-3 minute taxi everything was Ok?

Thank you,
/\/elson