Thread: Future Directions

Future Directions

I hope this fits here?

I am considering what direction to take with regard to ADSB compliance in Australia. Because I have a GTX327 xponder and there are no plans for a plug in replacement available from Garmin, (The GTX330 requires a whole new tray) I am considering the DYNON behind the panel transponder. Am I right in assuming that I will have to upgrade from my 4500 to a 5400 touch EFIS to be able to operate the Dynon transponder? I did have the foresight in 2009 to run and terminate an additional gps output from my GTN530W for the gps in requirement for the future ADSB capable transponder. Are there screen shots available somewhere of the 5400 transponder interface?

Kevin

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    5400 transponder interface
    I can't speak on the regulations in Australia but here is the interface for the 5400. With the 4500 upgrade program this would be a great time to add remote transponder and ADS-B.

Name:  ss175_00.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  25.1 KB
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Compatibility with 3400

Thanks Shawn.

I have a 3400EM on the right side in our Sportsman. I upgraded it to an S type processor when I upgraded to the 4500 on the pilot's side. If I upgrade the 4500 to the 5400, is the 3400EM still compatible? If not, what are my options?

Kevin

All 3000, 4000, and 5000 screens have the ability to share information. Currently the only sharing that is not compatible is the exchange of ADS-B data from a Non-S CPU.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    All 3000, 4000, and 5000 screens have the ability to share information. Currently the only sharing that is not compatible is the exchange of ADS-B data from a Non-S CPU.
    As well as upgrading the 4500E to a 5400TE on the pilot's side I may be able to fit a new 5400TEM on the right side to replace the existing 3400EM. The current G237 transponder which will be removed is currently directly beneath the transponder and may give me enough space to fit the bigger screen.

Can I use the exiting harnesses and plugs for both the 4500 and 3400 into the new 5400 on the left and also on the right if I can fit one in?

What wires do I need to run from the Dynon ADSB transponder to the 5400TEFIS for integration?

Can I control the DYNON transponder from both new 5400T screens if I have a 5400T on the right as well as the left and what additional wiring will I need to do this?

Kevin.

Can I use the existing harnesses and plugs for both the 4500 and 3400 into the new 5400 on the left and also on the right if I can fit one in?
    The harnesses will work for the new screen with the exception of the 9 pin EFIS Expansion Connector which gets re-pinned into our 15 pin EFIS Expansion Connector. This provided us room to add the Advanced SV Network.

What wires do I need to run from the Dynon ADSB transponder to the 5400TEFIS for integration?
    Pins 5 Transponder Serial RX and 7 Transponder Serial TX are connected to the an EFIS serial port to integrate the module.

The Manual v2.22 Page 146 to 156 explains the transponder in depth.
    http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Support/AF-5600/AF-5000%20User%20and%20Installation%20Manual%20V2.22. pdf

Can I control the DYNON transponder from both new 5400T screens if I have a 5400T on the right as well as the left and what additional wiring will I need to do this?
    The transponder control is shared across the screens via their Ethernet Connection. As long as one of the screen is wired to the module you are set.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems