Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADS-B traffic symbols

ADS-B traffic symbols

I just installed the Navworx 600-exp ADS-B box and have a question on the SVN display of traffic. The AFS manual says there are only 2 symbol possibilities, the clear black diamond box as "proximity traffic" and a yellow circle as "traffic advisory". But I'm seeing yellow diamonds, sometimes with numbers in them and sometimes with an arrow next to it. What does this mean? No where is this explained in the manual. Is there a better explanation somewhere or will the manual be updated to better explain the symbology ?

I thought there was a video detailing this but I can't find one.
    John Kazickas
    Sands Point, NY
    Glasair Sportsman N9GZ

Just to be clear, I know what there arrows and numbers mean, just the difference between a clear diamond vs yellow. Plus I don't see any yellow circles. And should the numbers have a - or a + next to it?
    John Kazickas
    Sands Point, NY
    Glasair Sportsman N9GZ

Quote Originally Posted by jkgoblue View Post
    I just installed the Navworx 600-exp ADS-B box and have a question on the SVN display of traffic. The AFS manual says there are only 2 symbol possibilities, the clear black diamond box as "proximity traffic" and a yellow circle as "traffic advisory". But I'm seeing yellow diamonds, sometimes with numbers in them and sometimes with an arrow next to it. What does this mean? No where is this explained in the manual. Is there a better explanation somewhere or will the manual be updated to better explain the symbology ?

I thought there was a video detailing this but I can't find one.
    I am also wondering about what appears to be the random yellow diamonds with black single digit numbers. I am interfaced with a Garmin TCAS system and these diamonds don't appear to have any relationship with the Garmin traffic screen, nor with the screen on the 4500. Only seems to be on the 5000 series screen. They do not stay put either.

Yup. That's what I'm talking about. It would be nice to have some explanation somewhere.
    John Kazickas
    Sands Point, NY
    Glasair Sportsman N9GZ

There seems to be differences in target data between the map view and synthetic view. The attached photo shows the target at -10 in the map view but in the SV view, has a yellow diamond with a 4 in it. Why is there a difference? Where is the target really?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Kazickas
    Sands Point, NY
    Glasair Sportsman N9GZ

If I understand your question correctly, per my understanding the target should be 1000 feet below and 4 miles away. Larry

Ohhhh... ok, finally someone explained it. Does that what the 4 means? It's 4 miles out? What about the downward arrow right of the 4? Does that mean below me or descending?

Can't find any of this in the manual.

Thanks.
    John Kazickas
    Sands Point, NY
    Glasair Sportsman N9GZ

I believe it means the traffic is descending. Larry

Thanks Larry. Now it makes sense. I'm also not sure what the difference is between a white diamond vs. white outlined box means in the map display. I'm assuming it's proximity traffic vs. traffic advisory but not sure.
    John Kazickas
    Sands Point, NY
    Glasair Sportsman N9GZ

My plane will be down due to mag service for a couple of weeks, will go fly and refresh my memory. If no answer turns up I’ll report back on this forum. Larry