Thread: AF-Pilot sometimes does not engage properly

Angry AF-Pilot sometimes does not engage properly

Every so often(Usually when climbing in to IMC), pressing the AP or EFIS button to engage the autopilot will result in the plane pulling off in some wild direction, like it wants to kill me-and the heading and altitude bug are set appropriately. I immediately disengage and re-boot once or twice and it will then work normally. I am very careful to boot it up on the ground with full GPS signal and airplane stationary. Pitot and static lines are both operating normally. Any words of wisdom? Do I need to send it in for service?

Ted Chipps
    N498EC RV-10

Quote Originally Posted by Chippster1 View Post
    Every so often(Usually when climbing in to IMC), pressing the AP or EFIS button to engage the autopilot will result in the plane pulling off in some wild direction, like it wants to kill me-and the heading and altitude bug are set appropriately. I immediately disengage and re-boot once or twice and it will then work normally. I am very careful to boot it up on the ground with full GPS signal and airplane stationary. Pitot and static lines are both operating normally. Any words of wisdom? Do I need to send it in for service?

Ted Chipps
    N498EC RV-10

I've experienced this as well, but I usually find that I didn't leave the settings in what I consider the default mode from the last flight. (i.e. heading mode instead of lat nav, with the heading bug pointed in a different direction.)
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

I have had this happen twice as well. Both times I was in cruise flight. AP had been on for more than 30 minutes and performing well, then decides it wants to turn the plane. I tried several times to reset everything, but no luck. Power down the AP and reboot and all is well. I have heard that it may be the ARINC causing the issue and not the AP.

Robert Cutter
    RVRC N516RC RV7

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    One of my favorite ways to combat this is to engage the autopilot using the LEVEL button. This sets up L:HDG at current heading, V:ALT at current altitude, then engages the AP. Then adjust its settings from there.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com