Thread: IFR with KLN89B and AFS-4500

IFR with KLN89B and AFS-4500

I recently installed a KLN89B to my panel as part of an upgrade to take my RV-7 from VFR to IFR capable.

When I am on an GPS RNAV approach, I see on my AFS-4500 that it is switching from Terminal mode to Approach mode as I near the FAF (within two miles), but as soon as I pass the fix, it switches back to terminal mode.

I've confirmed the GPS is working correctly and still in the Approach Active mode with the .3 Nmile CDI standard on the GPS. The GPS is wired to the EFIS via RS-232. Everything else is working and talking to each properly between the two.

Is there a setting on the EFIS that I need to update so that it says in approach mode on an approach?

Vince
    RV-7

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    The AF-4500 doesn't support CDI scale over RS-232 as in the KLN89B. It will use distance to active. ARINC-427 has the CDI scale information.
    Enroute: DIST > 31NM
    Terminal: 31NM > DIST > 2NM
    Approach: 2NM > DIST
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Hi Shawn,

How's it coming to update the 4500's so it uses the CDI Scale info from the GPS instead of the active waypoint?

Thanks
    Vince

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    There is no development scheduled the AF-4500 software at this time.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

When I spoke with Rob 2 weeks ago, he said it would be an easy fix and that you would do it sometime in the next couple of weeks. I'll give him another call later today.

Thanks
    Vince