Thread: Standby alternator amp reading with Hall Effect Sensor??

Standby alternator amp reading with Hall Effect Sensor??

I am installing a 30A Plane Power standby alternator on a Sportsman with a 5600 EFIS. I am wondering if it is possible to run the 10ga supply wire through the Hall Effect sensor along with the 6ga primary alternator supply so that I will have an amp reading from the standby alternator if the primary alternator fails. Will this interfere with the reading of the primary alternator through the Hall Effect sensor? The backup alternator carries no load if the primary alternator is functioning properly.

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Normally you would use the shunt for one and the hall effect for the other but hall effect sensors are additive allowing you to add both wires. Just be sure the current flows in the same direction through the sensor.

With both wires, you would always see the net amperage flow of the two. So if the backup had an issue and was pulling 5A, for some reason, and you had 30A draw on the primary you would see 25A on the gauge.

I use the multiple wire principal when measuring low amperages, 1 wire looped 10 times gives you x10 multiplier on the output.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Shawn

Thanks for the info as I couldn't find much on the web about it. The primary alternator output is 14.2v and they regulate the backup at 13.6v so in theory there is no load or current output from the backup alternator unless the primary drops below 13.6. I was hoping to run it this way so that if you saw the low voltage warning from the primary alternator you would know you were on the backup and could monitor your loads to keep them less that the 30A output of the backup alt. Who wants to spend $300 on a second ammeter if you dont have to.

Thanks

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    What type of engine monitor do you have? EE or EM EFIS or SV-EMS-220? Adding a shunt should be $75 and two wires to the engine connector.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Largo, FL, Based at Clearwater Airpark KCLW
    Kurt --- I did exactly that with my setup ---- my EMS is the Dynon 120 feeding the 5600T--- works fine. I do not have the standby activated under normal conditions, and will switch it on when the primary alternator fails.