Thread: WiFi Adapter

WiFi Adapter

Hi - There is one USB port on each of my touch 5600, non-touch 5600, and non-touch 5500 that's used for database/software updates. I'm interested in having Foreflight on my ipad talk to these displays. The Skyview Wifi dongle apparently works with the 5500/5600 AFS displays, but requires a USB port. Are there additional open USB ports underneath / on the back of my panel? Would be helpful to know before I start crawling around with a flashlight to look for them.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Any AF-5000 has two USB ports on the back and we recommend having one of those brought to the panel with a USB extension cable for your AIRAC 28-day updates.

Touchscreen AF-5000's can use a SkyView Wi-Fi adapter to connect to Foreflight or other flight apps. Call us at 503-263-0037 x 2 to order one.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Hi Shawn - I bought the wifi adapter and then was going to install it, but I'm not sure that I've got a free USB port. See pic: https://screencast.com/t/eXcbiFwyUFG . The bottom black dongle is what I've used to update software/data. Is that a second USB stick above it?

Yes, remove the second USB drive and replace it with the Wi-Fi adapter.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

Got it. What is that one that's in there now?

Yes, the sliver thing.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

Yes, right, but I was curious what purpose it's serving now. I removed it and checked its contents: https://screencast.com/t/iggj3VvGrQaN . None of these files are needed by this 5600 (or the other 5600 and 5500)? Another issue: I inserted the wifi usb ... and now what? I checked SET -> WIFI and that's blank. I found an AFS wifi network through my ipad, but it's asking for a password ... ???

They are all files used by the EFIS but you only need one USB installed. Your other USB should have the same support files on the drive. See http://dynonavionics.com/af-5000-data.php for more information on each item.

Go to the Wi-Fi setup page within calibration (SET -> Hold CAL) to set your SSID and Password.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

Ok that worked and I got my ipad on the afs wifi. Then I tried to send a simple flight plan from the ipad to the 5600 and received an error message on the ipad: "Unable. The operation couldn't be completed. (The request failed on the remote device - error 4.)" ??

Quote Originally Posted by jahoosafat View Post
    The request failed on the remote device - error 4
    Be sure to select INTFP before sending the flight plan into the EFIS. This requirement will be removed in future software.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems