Thread: Stratux ADS-b 4500

Stratux ADS-b 4500

I built the home brew Stratux ADS-b "in" for my 4500.

Traffic works, but I'm not getting weather?

I'm seeing my ghost identifier. I tried to enter my hex code in configuration, but when I hit enter it reverts to the previous setting?

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Are you getting UAT messages on the status page of the Stratux? You might only be getting 1090 traffic.

FAA 'N' based numbers will all start with 'A' hex codes. e.g: N1 = A00001 note that the hex code only contains zero through nine and A through F. Look yours up here https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinq...m_Inquiry.aspx
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Is there a reliable module I can add to my 4500 to receive ADS-B In on my EFIS? My ADS-B Out is via the DGL-82 connected to my GTX327.

follow up on two issues

Are you getting UAT messages on the status page of the Stratux? You might only be getting 1090 traffic. - Shawn McGinnis
    Yes I am getting UAT messages on the status page. Perhaps I have made some mistake on the settings page of AFS 4500?

Also I had been working from notes in the cockpit and mistakenly entered my Octal code instead of Hexadecimal code in configuration....oops. I will have to make a longer flight to check for ghosting.

You could also double check that you are using ADSB115K and that the Stratux Serial Output Baudrate is set to 115200.

Are you flying in a really dense traffic area? What are you seeing on the CHECK->MAINT->ABOUT page of the EFIS as far as ADSB?
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

Yes I have ADSB115K and 115200

I sometimes fly in congested areas around SFO.

ADS-B mode: Master (PID:564) IDLE
    TRFC:3442 FIS-B:390 OSHIP:308
    NXRD:--:-- MTR:-00:01. TFR:-00:01
    TAF:-00:00
    Last edited by lux wrangler; 04-10-2019 at 07:53 PM.

I am guessing that the traffic targets are taking all the available serial port time and not letting the FIS-B through. The weather should normally show up within about 10 minutes of reception.

If you want something to try; remove your 1090 receiver and see if the weather shows up more consistently. This removed the Air to Air reception that may be clogging the serial port. To get this fixed its probably a request to the Stratux group to figure out how to carefully prioritize the serial packets so that weather is above over certain non-critical traffic packets.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems