Thread: AOA Flap Position Switch

AOA Flap Position Switch

Version 7 of the manual says that the flap position switch for the AOA, which changes the AOA's calibration at low speeds, must be set up on switched input #3 (p.16, also EFIS main cable wiring diagram). Travis from AFS thought that you could use ANY switched input. The software seems to allow any switched input to be set for flaps. But does that mean that the AOA will see it? I hate to install it on a different input and have it not work. I have already prewired to have it on switched input #1. Has anybody set this up on inputs 1 or 2 and can confirm that it works?

A second question: Both the AOA and the safety trim system from TCW require a flap position switch. Can both of them use the same one?
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island

To answer my own questions (in case anybody else ever wants to know), the tank timers (for aux tank fuel pumps) MUST be on inputs 1&2 if you have them, and this leaves input 3 for the flap limit switch.

I connected the normally closed contacts of the flap limit microswitch to the AFS, and the normally open contacts of the switch to the Safety Trim. The pitch trim servo speed control pots in the safety trim don't care whether the switch is open or closed when flaps are retracted. One pot controls low speed and the other controls high speed. Thus you only need one limit switch on the flaps, not two!
    Highest Regards,

Noah F
    RV-7A
    Rhode Island