Thread: Where's my flaps?

Where's my flaps?

Howdy,

I loaded the V16 software on my 5600s, hardware V7 and now my flap position sensor is no longer working. I'm getting flap overspeed warnings. Operating the flaps does not bring up the hidden display as before either, though operating the trim does. When the display is showing, it always shows flaps full down which gibes with the overspeed warning.

When I look in setup, it gives me options for EMS and VX. I have neither as I'm wired right to the EFIS. Using either option, I am unable to set calibration. The EMS version shows the current reading as "1" with flaps up or down. Calibration is greyed out for the VX.

Ed Holyoke

Quote Originally Posted by Bicyclops View Post
    Howdy,

I loaded the V16 software on my 5600s, hardware V7 and now my flap position sensor is no longer working. I'm getting flap overspeed warnings. Operating the flaps does not bring up the hidden display as before either, though operating the trim does. When the display is showing, it always shows flaps full down which gibes with the overspeed warning.

When I look in setup, it gives me options for EMS and VX. I have neither as I'm wired right to the EFIS. Using either option, I am unable to set calibration. The EMS version shows the current reading as "1" with flaps up or down. Calibration is greyed out for the VX.

Ed Holyoke
    Ping. The flap position was working before the upgrade, but not after.

Ed

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    If its wired directly to the EFIS Main Connector then that would just be a flaps switch and you would turn Instrument ON/OFF to OFF in Flap Position as there is no positional feedback.

If you have an AF-5000-EM or EE and you are wired directly to the internal 37pin connector you would select Position Source: EMS

If you have an SV-EMS and you are wired to its C37_P* then you would have Position Source: EMS and Pin Select set to the proper pin which is normally C37_P9 (See this for a picture)

If you have a Vertical Power VP-X module or Advanced Control Module ACM then you would select Position Source: ACM/VPX
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    If its wired directly to the EFIS Main Connector then that would just be a flaps switch and you would turn Instrument ON/OFF to OFF in Flap Position as there is no positional feedback.

If you have an AF-5000-EM or EE and you are wired directly to the internal 37pin connector you would select Position Source: EMS

If you have an SV-EMS and you are wired to its C37_P* then you would have Position Source: EMS and Pin Select set to the proper pin which is normally C37_P9 (See this for a picture)

If you have a Vertical Power VP-X module or Advanced Control Module ACM then you would select Position Source: ACM/VPX
    Not sure I understand that. It is wired directly to the EFIS. I do not have an EMS as they hadn't been incorporated at that time. I'll try and dig up my as built wiring diagram to see what pins. It is a Ray Allen position sensor rigged to the flap actuator bar. The instrument is turned on and used to pop up with the trim indicator. The trim indicator still pops up when operated and brings the flap indicator with it, but not vice versa. When I got the system running back in '015-'016, I was able to calibrate the flaps full up and down positions by incorporating the advals of same. It worked just fine all these years, showing full up, full down and all between positions. It was working right up until the software upgrade. Now the position is shown as full down (when the trim has popped up the display) and Betty bitches at me for flap overspeed. When I try to calibrate it, it shows the adval as "1" no matter where the flaps are. I didn't take a picture, but it seems like the original calibrated up val was somewhere around 1400 or so. I'll check it next time I'm at the airport.

Ed

Sounds like you would have the 2nd option
    Be sure you are trying to calibrate this on the EM or EE screen. With [Position Source: EMS] you should not see the [Pin Select] option and the [3. FULL UP] [4. FULL DOWN] should editable.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

Sounds like you would have the 2nd option

Be sure you are trying to calibrate this on the EM or EE screen. With [Position Source: EMS] you should not see the [Pin Select] option and the [3. FULL UP] [4. FULL DOWN] should editable.
    The EM screen is the one with the engine monitor board built in, right? That is my PFD and it is where I was trying to calibrate it. I'll try it again.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Bicyclops View Post
    The EM screen is the one with the engine monitor board built in, right?
    Correct, the one that has the 37pin inside of the box would be an EM. An EE would be EMS with Airdata internal. As you calibrate you should see the AD_VAL in the upper right changing linearly as you move the flap position.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems