Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flap position -- all or none?

Flap position -- all or none?

5400 upgrade from non-functional 4500. I'm having trouble calibrating flap position. The 15.1 install manual page 184 indicates there would be a full-up, center, and full down entries but all I have is full up and full down flap position on both the AoA donut and the position display. I rarely use full flaps but I frequently use 10-20 degrees. The AoA and flap position worked fine on my 4500. How can I make it work on the 5400? Or can I? Is full up or full down all I get?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MacCool; 04-18-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Advanced Flight Systems Shawn McGinnis's Avatar
    Have you converted your Internal EMS harness to the SV-EMS layout?
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems
    support@advanced-flight-systems.com

Hmmm...we did, but I don't recall specifically if moving pin 34 to pin 9 was part of that process. I'll have to check when I get back in there to jumper pin 7 to 5 on my EMS network harness to get The Red Cube back online.

Does this configuration entry suggest that my flap trim is now on pin 9?

Yes, C37 stands for connector with 37 pins. P9 is pin 9. So pin 9 of the 37 pin connector as you have found.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn McGinnis View Post
    Yes, C37 stands for connector with 37 pins. P9 is pin 9. So pin 9 of the 37 pin connector as you have found.
    OK, thanks. I'm hooked up right then, correct pin 9, set to EMS.

The 15.1 install manual page 184 indicates there would be full-up, center, and full down options on the flap calibration screen but all I have is full up and full down flap position choices.

I guess that brings me back to my original question...is the 5400 designed to show only show either full-flaps or no-flaps? Or...if intermediate flap positions are supported, how do I get the flap indicator on my 5400 to indicate flap positions between full-flaps and no-flaps? The method suggested in the 15.1 install manual doesn't seem to translate to my particular 5400.
    Last edited by MacCool; 04-24-2021 at 09:52 AM.

Elevator, Aileron and Rudder Trim have a center position but flaps center doesn't really correlate.

The EFIS will interpolate between the two setpoints so let say 0 was FULL UP and 100 is FULL DOWN, when the flaps are at 25 that will show 25% below FULL UP.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

Elevator, Aileron and Rudder Trim have a center position but flaps center doesn't really correlate.

The EFIS will interpolate between the two setpoints so let say 0 was FULL UP and 100 is FULL DOWN, when the flaps are at 25 that will show 25% below FULL UP.
    But they don't, Shawn. They do not interpolate. That's what these posts have been about. I even included a video in my first post (above), but sincerely I apologize for my inability to make my question clear.

The transition from flaps FULL UP to FULL DOWN takes 6 seconds on my airplane. For the first 5 seconds of that flap travel from FULL UP to FULL DOWN, the flap indicator on the EFIS reads fully up. Then, in the last 1 second of that 6 second flap travel, the indicator rapidly goes to show fully down. That's not really useful if I want to know flap position without looking out the window. It really only tells me relevant flap information if the flaps are fully down..a landing configuration I rarely use.

I have read, and re-read page 184 of the 15.1 installation manual. Do I have the wrong installation manual version? What am I missing here, Shawn?

Is the AD_VAL changing smoothly throughout the flaps movement?
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems

Is the AD_VAL changing smoothly throughout the flaps movement?
    No. I just checked it…the adval moves the same way as the display on the EFIS. That is, it doesn’t move smoothly/linearly throughout its range either. My previous 4500 didn’t do that. Is there a problem with the way the 5400 reads the Ray Allen sensor, or is there something wrong with the sensor?
    Last edited by MacCool; 04-30-2021 at 10:31 AM.

You probably want to buzz out the harness, looking for continuity, or wires. You should have

C37_P18 connected to Orange of the POS-12
    C37_P3 connected to Blue of POS-12
    C37_P9 connected to Green of POS-12

https://www.steinair.com/wp-content/...structions.pdf

If not and you happen to put power or ground on Green then there is a potential to damage the POS-12 sensor by effectively shorting power to ground through the sensor.
    Shawn McGinnis

Advanced Flight Systems