Thread: Wind calculator error on 3500

Wind calculator error on 3500

Does anyone else doubt their wind calculator? Took a x-country flight yesterday and return. In both directions, the wind calculator on the AFS-3500 identified quartering tailwinds at about 23 knots. Flight service said winds were "light and variable" at my altitude. Ground speed suggested no wind both directions. What's up with this?

Wind is calculated no differently than you would manually on an E6B, and is accurate as long as the data being fed to it is accurate. To calculate winds, you need:

- Ground track (GPS course)
    - Ground speed (GPS speed)
    - TAS (calculated using IAS, pressure altitude, and OAT)
    - aircraft heading (from your magnetometer)

If your winds aloft reading does not jive with reality, this is usually an indication that either your magnetometer is off, and needs recalibration, or that your OAT sensor is going bad or is improperly installed, i.e. exposed to heat sources that prevent it from accurately reading freestream air temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
    Wind is calculated no differently than you would manually on an E6B, and is accurate as long as the data being fed to it is accurate. To calculate winds, you need:

- Ground track (GPS course)
    - Ground speed (GPS speed)
    - TAS (calculated using IAS, pressure altitude, and OAT)
    - aircraft heading (from your magnetometer)

If your winds aloft reading does not jive with reality, this is usually an indication that either your magnetometer is off, and needs recalibration, or that your OAT sensor is going bad or is improperly installed, i.e. exposed to heat sources that prevent it from accurately reading freestream air temperature.
    I dont disagree. Heading seems to be correct and an I felt and noted a temperature drop on the 3500 from the ground (25c) to 14c at altitude. I might consider a recalibration of the magnetometer. Thanks