Thread: EFIS main cable pins 8,17,20

EFIS main cable pins 8,17,20

Hi,

I have a panel built by Aerotronics (I should ask them I guess but they are closed right now) with one EF and one EE (4500s). Tied off with my OAT wires on each main cable harness are the Orn/Grn (pin 8, Orn/Brn (pin 17) and Orn/Pur(pin 20) wires. Looking at the diagram in the manual it shows these going to the AOA flap switch, the other two going to the tip tank transfer switches for a glasair sportsman.

I am using a POS 12 for flap position so from reading on here I don't need the first one. I am not installing any aux tanks so the other two seem useless to me. Maybe the harness is pre made and sent to Aerotronics and no one removed those wires. Are these designations hard set or is it possible through programing that they are intended for something else that I can't figure out? These pins are also labeled Input 1,2 and 3 respectively and that makes me wonder if the data going to them might be selectable.

Also, I am assuming that one POS 12 will supply the flap info to both units for purpose of AOA calculations.

Of course I will call Aerotronics on Monday but I am trying to work out my wire routings this weekend.

Thanks for any insight,

Bill Cannon

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cannon View Post
    Hi,

I have a panel built by Aerotronics (I should ask them I guess but they are closed right now) with one EF and one EE (4500s). Tied off with my OAT wires on each main cable harness are the Orn/Grn (pin 8, Orn/Brn (pin 17) and Orn/Pur(pin 20) wires. Looking at the diagram in the manual it shows these going to the AOA flap switch, the other two going to the tip tank transfer switches for a glasair sportsman.
    I'm by no means an expert, but I'm in the process of installing the same configuration. The POS-12 is recommended to be connected to Input#3, Pin 8. Inputs aren't made available to the other units, so I would connect this to the unit with the AOA license key.

In my case, I'm connecting the POS-12 to the VP-X so that the VP-X can manage trim control speeds.

I am using a POS 12 for flap position so from reading on here I don't need the first one. I am not installing any aux tanks so the other two seem useless to me. Maybe the harness is pre made and sent to Aerotronics and no one removed those wires. Are these designations hard set or is it possible through programing that they are intended for something else that I can't figure out? These pins are also labeled Input 1,2 and 3 respectively and that makes me wonder if the data going to them might be selectable.
    You can use the Inputs for other things, like Door Open, Stall Warning, etc.

Also, I am assuming that one POS 12 will supply the flap info to both units for purpose of AOA calculations.
    Inputs aren't shared amoung units. I don't know if the AOA data is shared after calculations. I'll have to ask that question next week at OSH, if Trevor doesn't answer it here first.

Of course I will call Aerotronics on Monday but I am trying to work out my wire routings this weekend.

Thanks for any insight,

Bill Cannon
    Jason on vacation this coming week, but I'm sure there are others that can answer the question.
    Bob Leffler
    N410BL - RV10 - Flying
    http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Bob,

Thanks for the info. I'll talk to Jeff. He built my panel. I already have a cpc with all the wires for the pos 12 going into it. I guess I can set the orange wires aside for a day and not know what they are for. Since they were bundled with the OAT wires I thought they were part of that system until I looked closer.

Thanks again,

Bill

Update. I called Aerotronics today and confirmed that there is no intended use for these wires in my panel. I can either remove them or tie them off with the ends insulated for some possible future use.

Bill