Thread: Charts question

Charts question

Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting the amazing pictures on VAF. I have a couple of questions that I'm curious about that may be of benefit to others. I might be missing a couple of things even though I've been through the manual a few times.

1) It may just be where the airplane is sitting on the screen view, but I'm wondering how the screen is actually oriented in relation to your direction of flight? I guess the simplest way to ask is, can North be modified. With the Garmin 430 in my plane (and in the helicopters I fly at work) the screen can to changed to show North always at the top or it can be set up to have the top of the screen the direction of flight.

2) Can the Sectionals be rotated? When I was taught to fly, I was taught to always orientate the sectional toward your direction of flight.

Hope these are not too confusing. Thanks. Again, great stuff.

Darwin N. Barrie
    Chandler, AZ

1) It may just be where the airplane is sitting on the screen view, but I'm wondering how the screen is actually oriented in relation to your direction of flight? I guess the simplest way to ask is, can North be modified. With the Garmin 430 in my plane (and in the helicopters I fly at work) the screen can to changed to show North always at the top or it can be set up to have the top of the screen the direction of flight.

The MAP can be track or North up

2) Can the Sectionals be rotated? When I was taught to fly, I was taught to always orientate the sectional toward your direction of flight.

Currently the Sectionals and IFR charts are North up, the next software update will let you also have track mode.
    Rob Hickman
    Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

You are "Da Man." Thanks for the quick reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    Currently the Sectionals and IFR charts are North up, the next software update will let you also have track mode.
    Currently the sectionals do not exist. When I tried to have my dealer install them on my dual AF-5600 system they were told that they are not available. Don't beleave everything you read in the documentation or what you see in the video.

Rob, is there an estimated delivery for the Sectional charts and/or IFR Charts for the 5500 series?

We have them now, email info@advanced-flight-systems.com
    Rob Hickman

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hickman View Post
    We have them now, email info@advanced-flight-systems.com
    OK. I sent the email. The response said they would be available by Wednesday or Thursday of last week. The only thing that happened was references to the sectionals and enroutes were removed from the store. What is the status?

The software engineering department has taken longer thanexpected with the new smaller updated format. I test flew the new software release last night and found only a coupleof small bugs. We hope to have arelease on Wednesday morning and the new chart format posted.
    Rob Hickman